Greg's cold has taken hold so we need a quiet day in Padstow. We are booked in for dinner at Rick Stein's Seafood Restaurant so he has to be fit for that. Rain was forecast so I set out for a walk first thing after breakfast, before the rain arrived. But the wind on the headland was too strong so I headed back to the protection of the harbour.
I visited the National Lobster Hatchery - interesting but no free samples. I picked up some salads for lunch from Rick Stein's deli and checked out the art galleries. A print showing the harbour would be a lovely souvenir and memory of our time here. Also visited the tiny local museum and learned more about Padstow and the strange festival they celebrate on May Day - 'Obby Oss, origins uncertain, possibly pagan rain or fertility festival but still very popular today. A very knowledgeable volunteer made the visit interesting with her explanation of some of the photos. They also had some train memorability so will have to take Greg there.
Used an iron for the first time in 3 weeks in preparation for our dinner with Rick!
The bookings are at half hour intervals and we were booked in for the first one at 6.30pm. Salmon fish cakes, and walnut and sour dough bread, arrived at our table before we had even ordered. Greg ordered 6 Oysters in Tempura Batter with Sesame Seeds and Lime that just melted in your mouth. They were delivered 3 at a time to ensure they were warm and fresh at eating!
For main course Greg had "Escalopes of Halibut with Dill, Carrots and Celery, Served with a mirepoix of vegetables made into a sauce, with Muscadet, butter and chopped dill". I had "Newlyn Fish Pie with lobster, prawns, monkfish and scallop in a seafood veloute with truffle oil". We shared the dessert of Red wine poached pear with icecream and sorbet. All devine! The service was excellent although the staff did get busy as the evening progressed and getting the bill was the only delay. All up I would judge it as one of the most enjoyable meals I have had.
No comments:
Post a Comment