Today we had planned a trip to Wales but cancelled that to spend another quiet day recovering from the dreaded lurgy. Val went back to bed after breakfast and I took off for an hour or so for a short drive to nearby Wellow. A classic typical Sunday in a country English village - men in gumboots walking their dogs, small groups of kids on horses here and there, and as I drove out of town, was stopped by the sound of gunshots. Down in the valley beside the narrow country road, clay pigeon shooting - you could hear the "Pull!" echo across the valley before each volley of shots.
The village we are staying in Norton St Philip, is about 8 miles from Bath and very picturesque. The beer garden of the Inn overlooks the village green with a lovely old Norman-style church in the backgound. In summer it would be a perfect spot to watch some cricket.
By the late afternoon I (Val) was feeling in need of cheering up so we called Niki (who I worked with at SL) and her husband Garry. They live in Bowral usually but just happen to be staying in a lovely cottage a 10 minute drive away from here. They have recently been to Hong Kong, Swizerland, Italy, Slovenia and Croatia so we had a wonderful time exchanging travellers tales. By the time we parted after dinner at the Hope and Anchor I was feeling much better.
No comments:
Post a Comment