Day13 Wed 1 May - Avignon

You lose track of the date when you are travelling- we knew it was Wednesday but not that it was 1 May. We'd decided to have a quiet day in and around Avignon. I wanted to do some shopping and visit an art museum and Greg was going to sort out some blog challenges.

However, when we ventured out late morning we found most of shops were shut. Greg saw a lady with a red flag and a banner with a with slogan about the state of society on it and realised it was May Day.

In the city squares there were flower stalls selling little bouquets mainly of the sweet smelling lily of the valley - traditional gift to give to loved ones on 1 May. Yes, I bought one for Greg! Not sure he really appreciated it!

The sun was shining, the sky was blue and for the first time in 6 days I went out without the blue parka that I had been wearing in every photo in Avignon!

Luckily Les Halles (the produce markets) was open and we bought some goodies for lunch. On the way back to the apartment we found a local cafe that was open for dinner. We wandered back there for dinner at 6.30pm, way too early for a French cafe! So we had to stroll around a bit more and returned after 7pm. By about 8pm a few more locals had arrived. I enjoyed duck and Greg had entrecote. A glass of Rose made in Provence is very pleasant! It is still light at 8.30pm so we wove our way (not because of the rose but because the streets are so narrow and winding) home feeling very relaxed.

No comments:

Post a Comment